Sunday, February 17, 2008

OB Consult

Well, our OB consult went great. He is a very personable, informative guy. If I had to point out a flaw, it would have to be that he's a hairy little dude. Sometimes I would get lost watching his fuzzy mustache dance around and forget to listen to his words. After we chatted for awhile he did a pelvic exam and gave us the all clear to start the process. Due to Trina's irregular periods he prescribed fertility drugs that she will start on the 5th day of her next cycle. With any luck, approximately this time next month we'll do our first insemination. Everything seems so real now. I was practically giddy leaving his office.
The only down side to the whole day was going to the lab to give blood for the STD panel. Trina is a needlephobe requires a talented and caring phlebotomist. The woman who took her blood was neither. In fact she was rude and completely unprofessional. She showed us to a room with a chair and Trina politely told her that she'd need to be lying down to have blood drawn. The B***** actually rolled her eyes, sighed and showed us to a table set up in the hall. The table was being used as a countertop and was covered in blood drawing paraphenalia. She made a big show of snatching everything off the table and tossing it onto a nearby counter. Trina was livid at this point. She was glaring at me and quietly threatening to walk out. When the woman walked away, I helped Trina onto the table. I tried to calm her by lovingly stroking her forehead and telling her it would be OK. I was informed that she was NOT to be "petted". By the look in her eyes and her flushed cheeks, I knew better than to tell her I was just trying to help... The rude woman came back, quickly took her blood and walked off without another word. Apparently the pure white hot fury in my wife kept her from getting overly woozy or passing out. Although we will definitely not be going back to that lab, it's good to know that anger overrides her fear of needles. Perhaps next time she needs blood drawn I'll tell her that yes, those jeans DO make her butt look big or maybe ask if she is going to be this hormonal for the entire pregnancy. Sure, I'll probably end up with a black eye, but if she doesn't puke it may be worth it... :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha. Trina and needles! It totally sucks. I'm mostly surprised that you guys didn't just walk out. I hope next time the person doesn't suck.