Friday, May 23, 2008

Identity Crisis


I had a strange conversation with a client today. It went a little somethin like this...

Woman: Hi Kat, I have an appointment with you. (big cheery smile)

Me: I'm not Kat, but she'll be right with you. (less than cheery smile)

Woman: Oh, then I think I made my appointment with the wrong person. I wanted you. What's your name? (frowning)

Me: I'm Robin.

Woman: No, that's not it. (deeper frown)

Me: *blink blink, looking down at name badge* Um, yeah, I'm pretty sure it is... Kat is probably who you want, we look similar.

Woman: Wow, you two must be twins or something. (smiling again)

Me: (weak half smile, not saying a damn thing because this is the 3rd time today I've been mistaken for Kat who is 9yrs younger, has a shaved head and just happens to be the only other lesbian in our shop)

Seriously people. We don't really all look alike, right??

3 comments:

Amy said...

ya, um... no. suburban mentality. all you short-haired lesbians look the same. and see how progressive she was to ask for a lesbian? she probably feels so progressive.

Unknown said...

oh dont kid yourself...anyone in any sort of "minority" group looks the same. dont you know that!! :)

i have a shaved head and i am constantly mistaken for boys and other bald lesbians...

oh well such is my plight!

Anonymous said...

I am not a lesbian and my head is not shaved. Quite the opposite; I have long, flowing tresses. However, to one of our clients of another ethnicity, I look exactly like a colleague who is 15 years younger and 50 pounds heavier. And my sister-in-law who's in a wheelchair? Nobody has any idea what she looks like because nobody looks directly at her; they look at the person with her. Tres bizarre.